Christmas is, among other things, a time to indulge. Some indulge in family fun, others in excessive eating, and perhaps most commonly, many indulge in rampant and unapologetic commercial/consumer-ism. While I subscribe to all of those Christmas indulgences, one particular excess defines my Christmas celebration.
Yes, I am a closet “Do They Know it’s Christmas Time” fan. Every December 15th I sneak over to Youtube.com, shut the door, put on my headphones, and do a search for “pointless yet well meaning big haired 80s pop supergroup.” I smile a little as George Michael’s mullet fills the screen.
Well this year no more. I shall push my indulgence just a little further and subject any foolish enough to click on my blog to share my revelry of big hair and hammy singers.
Enjoy the video. Look below for my top five moments.
1. How is it possible that in a room full of dated trendified poplets, Sting still manages to look cool as ice? The look on his face says, ” in 6 years you all will look like a bunch of fools, but I’ll still look gooood.”
2. Bono doing his Bobcat Goldthwait impression (both visually and vocally)
3. Phil Collins just workin those drums
4. I SWEAR that Simon LaBon looks exactly like my friend Cam did in high school
5. The best line ever written in pop music: “There won’t be snow in Africa this Christmas.” You know, it’s too bad that Band Aid didn’t work. As far as I know, it still doesn’t snow in Africa. (Kilimanjaro doesn’t count)